Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/1spsamOSMtg?list=PLMEg2Dd0dSFctLfDQxsL5SmuE8zkwQFmu
- Plastic cups in 2 sizes
- Pipe cleaners
- Pompoms and other doodads or baubles
- Battery operated candle
- Paper towel
- Additional baubles or doodads
- Weights, like rocks
This is an engineering challenge! For more step-by-step pictures of project, open pdf link below.
- Twist your pipe cleaners up the inside of the larger cup.
- Slide the smaller cup inside with the pipe cleaners in between the large and small cups.
- Carefully push pompoms and/or other baubles or doodads between the 2 cups also.
- With the tops of the cups even, crisscross two pieces of tape across the top of the cups.
- Placing cups on a paper towel, gently fill the larger cup with water until it’s about 1 inch from the top. You do not want water to go into the smaller cup. You may need to add something to weigh down the smaller cup.
- Place in the freezer (or outside if it’s cold enough) until it’s frozen solid. This could take about 5 hours.
- Observe your creation! You may notice that the smaller cup is higher as is the water/ice level. This is a great illustration of how water expands as it changes states from a liquid to a solid.
- Remove from freezer and let sit about 10 mins., carefully remove the smaller cup (and tape). Then remove the larger cup. You may need to cut the cups off.
- Turn on the battery operated candle and place it in the center of your lantern. Put your lantern outside to admire!