Take and Makes for this project, for ages 5-12, will be available at area PPLD libraries Friday, June 4, 2021.
Secret Decoder Assembly
- Cut out both wheels from the template. Click on the pdf file below to find the template.
- Place the smaller wheel on top of the larger wheel, lining up the dots in the middle of each wheel.
- Poke a paper fastener (brad) through both wheels and fasten on the bottom. You can use a pencil to poke a small hole to make it easier to push the brad through.
Decode a Secret Message
- Spin the smaller, inside wheel around until the outer and inner letters match the key on the secret message. For example, the key AZ would mean that the letter “Z” on the inner wheel would line up with the letter “A” on the outer wheel.
- Decode the message by finding the letters on the outer wheel and writing the corresponding letter found on the inner wheel down on a piece of paper.
Write a Secret Message
- Write out your message on a piece of paper.
- Decide on your secret code. Chose any two letters and spin the inner wheel around until your chosen letters line up on the outer and inner wheel.
- Find the letters for your secret message on the inner wheel. Write down the corresponding letter on the outer wheel.
- Write the secret code on a new sheet of paper so no one can see your original message!
- Give the secret code and the decoder to a friend. Tell them the key (the two letters you chose) and see if they can figure out your secret message!