Friends of the PPLD is a nonprofit 501(c)3 corporation independent from the Pikes Peak Library District, and as such they have their own qualification requirements and screening process for volunteers. It is easy for patrons to get confused about this separation. As far as volunteering is concerned, it may help to think of it this way: Friends volunteers perform tasks related to the organization’s support of the Library; PPLD volunteers perform tasks related to operating the Library itself.
Supporting the Friends through membership only, without volunteering, is also an option.
Want a fun time?
Do we ever have great volunteer opportunities with the Friends of PPLD!
You could shelve books at the bookstore of your choice, accept book donations, edit the newsletter, box up books, work our next Big Book Sale, help in the office, join the Board of Directors, and much more!
Volunteer every week or once a month or once a year for an hour, two hours or 24-7. Your call!
Check out our current volunteer openings below, fill out and submit a Volunteer Application and we’ll call you soon.
Friends of PPLD is holding a “Big Book Sale” in October! This is a fun, fast-paced event, and the following helpers are needed:
- Set Up - prepare the books for sale
- Room Monitor - keep book displays in order, assist buyers on sales floor
- Sales - tally purchases (a seated job)
- Clean Up – box up remaining stock, move boxes out of the room, break down empty boxes
Shifts are 2-3 hours in length, depending on task.
Location: East Library Community Room
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: It is not necessary to complete a Volunteer Application for this Short-Term Opportunity. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Friends Office at (719)531-6333, x1461 to apply over the phone and schedule your most convenient shifts).
- Thursday, October 6, 9 a.. to 3 p.m. (Set Up)
- Friday, October 7, 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Room Monitors, Sales-Friends members only)
- Saturday, October 8, 9:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (Room Monitors, Sales)
- Sunday, October 9, 10:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Room Monitors)
- Monday, October 10, 9 a.m. to noon (Clean Up)
Friends seeks one or two volunteers with broad and comprehensive knowledge of books to grade and sort donations by condition and genre. Moderate physical exertion involved (lifting, bending, etc.)
- Flexible. Volunteers are requested to commit to a minimum of one 3-hour shift per week and a term of one year.
Perform cashier and customer service tasks. Re-stock books, straighten up shelves, alphabetize books, create displays, perform light cleaning duties, and re-stock handouts at the bookstores. Skills/Experience needed: Cashier experience and knowledge of books is helpful. Volunteers are requested to commit to one shift per week for a minimum of six months.
- Several weekdays are available, dependent on location
We need an assistant to work with the Operations Coordinator. Several people could share this job. Duties include copying, taking inventory of supplies, transporting carts of books, shelving, boxing books, entering data into spreadsheets, performing internet lookups, running errands and general light office clean-up.
Skills/Experience needed: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Internet research methods.
- Flexible on Monday or Wednesday mornings, Tuesday or Thursday afternoons. Volunteers are requested to commit to a minimum of one shift per week.
Have a couple of hours free every week? Friends seeks detail-oriented, tech-savvy volunteers to scan book donations and discards for books to sell on Friends online outlets. Training provided.
- Flexible; 3 hours per week. Volunteers are requested to commit to a minimum of two hours per week.