Explore the world of making this October with All Pikes Peak Makes! A maker is someone who creates – to be innovative, to solve problems, to bring something beautiful into the world, or simply to have fun. They have an idea and they bring it to life. Making can encompass just about anything, from high tech to low tech to no tech, from art to fabrication to artistic fabrication, from needles to table saws to software. Join us Mon., Oct. 11 - Sun., Oct. 24 as we celebrate making in the Pikes Peak region – by exploring outer space as well as local maker hubs, tinkering, thinking, and, of course, making!
Celebrate making with us!
All Pikes Peak Makes @ Knights of Columbus Hall Are you ready to get hands-on with some creative projects? Looking to learn more about creative organizations and resources in our community? Join us for APPM @ KCH!
- When: Fri., Oct. 22 from 4 - 9 p.m.
- Where: Knights of Columbus Hall
This year, due to pandemic safety measures, we'll be getting together for a smaller All Pikes Peak Makes event at the newly opened Knights of Columbus Hall. Local creative organizations will bring hands-on projects for the whole family to enjoy. Explore the world of making this October with All Pikes Peak Makes!
MESO – Mobile Earth and Space Observatory The MESO bus is coming to PPLD for All Pikes Peak Makes! MESO is a “science center on wheels" with hands-on educational and research activities focused on earth and space sciences, renewable energy, and scientific instrumentation.
- Wed., Oct. 13 from10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Fountain Library
- Thu., Oct. 14 from 12:30 to 3:15 p.m. at Mobile Library @ Ellicott School
- Sat., Oct. 16 from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Library 21c
- Mon., Oct. 18 from 1 to 4 p.m. at High Prairie Library
- Sat., Oct. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. at Manitou Springs Library
Participants explore the process of science, and in-depth scientific concepts. Scientists-educators engage people directly with scientific tools such as solar and celestial telescopes, spectroscopy, infrared cameras, augmented reality sand table, gravity wells, and much more!
Community Makerspace Tours
- Monumental Impact You know the library offers makerspaces, but did you know there are other great makerspaces in our community as well? Join us for a tour of Monumental Impact, a space designed to help high school students with programs in technology, engineering, and entrepreneurship. Interested in robots? This is the tour for you!
- When: Fri., Oct. 15 from 1 to 3 p.m.
- Where: Monumental Impact
Drop in at any time during these hours, but the first 20 attendees of this tour will receive an exclusive APPM tote bag with ideas about how to make it your own!
- Manitou Art Center You know the library offers makerspaces, but did you know that we have an amazing new relationship with the Manitou Art Center as well? The Manitou Library is now co-located with the MAC and PPLD cardholders have access to their incredible facilities. Join us for a tour of the Manitou Art Center, which to provides an environment in which artists, tinkerers and collaborators can flourish. Interested in woodworking, metalworking, textiles, or ceramics? The MAC has equipment and space for all of these and much more - this makerspace tour is for you!
- When: Sat., Oct. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Where: Manitou Art Center
While you’re visiting, be sure to check out the MESO bus in the parking lot! Learn more. Drop in at any time during these hours, but the first 20 attendees of this tour will receive an exclusive APPM tote bag with ideas about how to make it your own!
- Visit a PPLD Makerspace Visit a PPLD Makerspace between Mon., Oct. 11 and Sun., Oct. 24 and receive an exclusive APPM tote bag with ideas on how to make it your own.
- Take and Make: Solar Bug Make your own solar powered insect that moves around and makes noise! Cut out your bug, decorate it to the nines, and then make a simple circuit using conductive tape, a solar cell, and a motor. Take and Makes will be available beginning on Mon., Oct. 11 at locations TBD. Available while supplies last.
- More about PPLD makerspaces & studios
- Guides for using the makerspaces & studios
- Curated resources for making at home
- Creative Services YouTube playlist
- Discovery Kits
These events are in partnership with Cool Science.