Be the Hero: Empowered and Impactful
Submissions open from Dec. 1, 2022 - Wed., March 1, 2023.
The Awards Ceremony
April 29, 2023, at 10:30 a.m.
Knights of Columbus Hall
20 W. Pikes Peak Ave.
What superpower, real or imagined, would you use to change the world?
Questions to ask yourself as you write your poem:
- Can we see, smell, hear, and taste the imagery in your poem?
- Have you used rich vocabulary that tells us a story or paints a picture?
- Does your poem reflect the theme?
Six winners will receive a book and $50 each! The contest is open to all fourth and fifth graders in the Pikes Peak region.
Open to all fourth and fifth graders in the Pikes Peak region.
The awards will be announced in April 2023.
- One entry per student. Teachers are urged to review poems and submit no more than five per class.
- Each poem must be the original work of the contestant.
- Poems will be judged on originality, including poem title and adherence to the theme.
- Submit two typed, double-spaced copies of each poem on 8 ½” x 11” paper (no handwritten submissions or illustrations will be accepted). Include ON A SEPARATE PIECE OF PAPER: name, telephone number, home address, school name and address, and teacher and principal’s names. Poems will not be returned. Please keep a copy.
- Entries must be postmarked by Wed., March 1, 2023. Submission of a poem constitutes full permission to exhibit, use, and publish the poem for any purpose – printed or electronic media – and to publish the name, school, and photograph of the student without compensation.
Entries may be mailed to:
The Jean Ciavonne Poetry Contest
c/o Christa Funke
Pikes Peak Library District
P.O. Box 1579
Colorado Springs, CO 80901-1579
Or email entries, following guidelines above to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Please call Christa Funke at (719)531-6333 x 6331 or email email@example.com
Congratulations to our 2022 winners!
- Kinsley Fritzges, 5th grade, Mountain View Academy - "Bravery" - video
- Autumn Holmberg, 5th grade, The Classical Academy Central - "Wintering Wisdom" - video
- Bianca Jennings, 5th grade, James Irwin Charter Elementary - "Skin" - video
- Georgia Stricklin, 4th grade, The Classical Academy Central - "The Four Elements" - video
- Julia Tiffany, 5th grade, The Classical Academy Central - "Bravery Grows Like a Tree" - video
- Maddie Westmoreland, 5th grade, Lewis-Palmer Elementary School - An Unexpected Challenge" - video