Join Pikes Peak Library District in celebrating our veterans and their families.
America’s First Ski Troops and their Legacy Today
SMC Col. Tom Duhs (Ret) and historian will share insights about the 10th Mountain Division, which formed and trained from 1942-44 at Camp Hale, Colorado near Leadville to become the first American ski troops in anticipation of fighting in the Alps during World War II. Many would go on to found ski areas around the country after the war.
- Tue., Nov. 1 from 5:45 - 6:45 p.m. at Monument Library
- Sat., Nov. 12 from 10:30 a.m. - noon at Old Colorado City Library
The Silent Submarine Service: From Pedal Power to Nuclear Power
Edward Sierra joined the United States Navy at age 17 after graduating from high school in Medford, NY. Upon completion of an intense two-year naval training program, Ed reported to the Electrical Division aboard the nuclear-powered fast attack submarine U.S.S. Billfish SSN-676. In this talk, he reviews early submarine history and then recalls his journey from boot camp in San Diego to naval schools across the country, and ultimately to his adventures as a Navy Nuclear Power Trained Electrical Operator serving on the U.S.S. Billfish stationed out of New London, CT.
American Flag Pin
We’re honoring our Veterans with a free USA flag lapel pin which will be available starting Fri., Nov. 11 at all PPLD locations while supplies last.
- VetNow (database)
- VetNow is an online service that supports Veterans and their families by offering live tutoring, aid in building marketable skills, standardized test preparation, employment transition assistance, writing labs, test centers, and guidance navigating Veterans Administration. To learn more, check out this video.
- Military & Veterans LibGuide
- This guide offers local information and general resources for Colorado-based military and veterans.
- Veterans Day Collection: 50 Patriotic Songs
- Veterans Day (radio broadcast)
- Gale Ebooks - Subject Veterans
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Veterans Day 2022
- Veterans Day 2022 – Includes information on the importance, history, and the traditions of Veterans Day
- Veterans Day
- "Sesame Street for Military Families is a free, bilingual (English and Spanish) website where families can find information and multimedia resources on the topics of military deployments, multiple deployments, homecomings, injuries, grief, and self-expression."
- "Babies on the Homefront provides military and veteran parents ideas for enhancing everyday moments with their baby or toddler.”
- "Parenting for Veterans is parenting help when you need it, on any device with internet."
Family websites for active military and veterans: