Join us for this year's Winter Adult Reading Program
Join us for the 2023 Winter Adult Reading Program!
Log 30 days of activities from Wed., Feb. 1 - Fri., March 31 to earn prizes! Activities include attending any PPLD activities listed below and reading for 30 minutes or more a day.
Winter Adult Reading Program Registration Kick-Off!
- When: Wed., Feb. 1
- Where: All Locations
Join us as we kick off the 2023 Winter Adult Reading Program! Register in person or at curbside and receive a tote bag that has everything you need to help you participate in the reading program. Bags will be available on a first come, first served basis, and available only while supplies last.
Log 30 days of activities from February 1 – March 31 to earn the annual Winter Adult Reading Program mug, chocolate bar from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, and an entry into the grand prize drawing. Activities include reading for 30 minutes or more a day, attending a PPLD program, or any of the activities listed below. You can complete the program through a combination of activities and reading.
Handwashing is recommended for the mug to preserve the logo.
Grand Prize Drawing.
You can earn extra entries into the Grand Prize Drawing! For every additional 5 days of reading or activities you log, you will receive one additional entry into the Grand Prize Drawing for a total of up to 5 additional entries.
PPLD employees are not eligible for the grand prize.
Card Making Class
Join Shannon from Stampin' Up to create winter themed greeting cards! Part of the Winter Adult Reading Program.
- Ruth Holley Library, Sat., Feb. 4, 10 a.m.
- Fountain Library, Sat., Feb. 4, 1 p.m.
- Sand Creek Library, Sat., Mar. 11, 10 a.m.
Willson and McKee: Echo in Winter's Heart
Join Wilson and McKee for stories and songs of winter! The scent of peat smoke, the sound of popping fire, the sight of dancing shadows. These are the gifts of winter. Come closer to the fire and settle in for an evening of traditional songs and stories from Ireland and Scotland. "The hardening of stream and breath, the stiffening of the bones… The silence of the farmer's field, the empty finch’s home...All echo in a winter's heart... The hollow frozen sound... And only in the flickering hearth... Warm dreams and hopes are found."
- Palmer Lake Library, Sat., Feb. 4,12:30 p.m.
- Fountain Library, Thu., Feb. 16, 4 p.m.
- Library 21c, Tue., Feb. 28, 6 p.m.
- Manitou Library, Sat. Mar. 25, 1 p.m.
Get into the Winter Adult Reading Program spirit with this thematic art project. Use embroidery floss and pins to make a string art version of classic winter symbols.
- Fountain Library, Fri., Feb. 3, 1 p.m.
- Manitou Library, Sat., Feb. 4, 1 p.m.
- Penrose Library, Sat., Feb. 4, 1 p.m.
- Ruth Holley Library, Tue., Feb. 7, 2 p.m.
- Rockrimmon Library, Fri., Feb. 10, 1 p.m.
- Old Colorado City Library, Sat., Feb. 11, 10:30 a.m.
- Cheyenne Mountain Library, Mon., Feb. 20, 10:30 a.m.
- Ute Pass Library, Sat., Feb. 25, 1 p.m.
- High Prairie Library, Mon., Feb. 27, 2:30 p.m.
Conversation Heart Handwarmers
Give the gift of warmth to a loved one this winter. Tell that special someone "U r cute" and make sure they don't have cold hands. Part of the Winter Adult Reading Program.
- Ruth Holley Library, Thu., Feb. 2, 2 p.m.
- Library 21c, Thu., Feb. 9, 2 p.m.
- Penrose Library, Sat., Feb. 11, 1 p.m.
- High Prairie Library, Mon., Feb. 13, 2:30 p.m.
- Sand Creek Library, Wed., Feb. 15, 4 p.m.
- Monument Library, Mon., Feb. 20, 4:30 p.m.
- Calhan Library, Mon., Feb. 27, 2 p.m.
Bleach Textile Art
Get into the Winter Adult Reading Program spirit with this thematic art project. Using bleach on either fabric you bring or on one of our small handkerchiefs, we will learn how to make a unique work of art.
- Sand Creek Library, Wed., Mar. 1, 4 p.m.
- Ute Pass Library, Sat., Mar. 4, 1 p.m.
- Palmer Lake Library, Wed., Mar. 8, 1:30 p.m.
- High Prairie Library, Mon., Mar. 13, 2:30 p.m.
- Ruth Holley Library, Tue., Mar. 28, 2 p.m.
- Cheyenne Mountain Library, Mon., Mar. 27, 10:30 a.m.
- Calhan Library, Mon., Mar. 27, 2 p.m.
Need some suggestions for activities? We’re here to help!
- Join a PPLD Book Group
- Read a new genre or author
- Write a book review for ppld.org
- Read a book set in the winter
- Watch the movie version of a book you read
- Watch a movie or documentary about winter using Hoopla or Kanopy
- Visit a Little Free Library in your neighborhood
- Join the Peak Readers Group
- Watch the Denver Museum of Nature and Science - Digital Earth Series: Ice
- Watch the Denver Museum of Nature and Science - Digital Earth Series: Changing Colorado
- Explore Winter Safety Tips from the National Weather Service
- Explore Cold Weather Safety Tips from the National Weather Service
- Explore the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Pick up your copy of District Discovery: Winter Adult Reading Edition to track your progress, read stories, and more!
- Sneaky winter road hazards
- Severe Winter Weather 101: Detecting Winter Weather
- Severe Winter Weather 101: Winter Weather Basics
- Severe Winter Weather 101: Winter Weather Types
- Nine Cool, and Useful Facts about Snow