Our theme for this year's Teen Art Contest is Memory. Please submit a piece inspired by this theme.
Memories can fool us, cause us grief, or bring us great comfort. Memory of the past can keep us from what we want in the future or inspire us to great heights. Create a piece inspired by the theme that shares your thoughts on Memory or expresses what Memory means to you and enter it to win a prize!
Entries are judged by other teens, along with one award that is judged by Library staff. Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on Tue., March 21 at 6 p.m. at East Library. All entries accepted into the show will be on display in April at East Library, Penrose Library, or Library 21c.
Artwork can be any type of two-dimensional art form, as long as we can hang it on the wall. Frames or mattes are recommended to help safeguard your artwork. Your submission should be able to support the attachment of wire with either a sawtooth hook or D-rings.
**PPLD will supply hanging wire and attach frame hooks upon receiving submissions unless the frame is already properly wired and able to be hung.
Award categories include: 1st place, second place, and Coordinator's Choice for Middle School; 1st place, second place, and Coordinator's Choice for High School; One overall Best in Show.
- Sign up online from Thu., Dec. 1 - Tue., Feb. 21
- Drop off your artwork from Fri., Feb. 17 – Tue., Feb. 21
- Awards Ceremony on Tue., March 21 at 6 p.m. at East Library Community Room
- Art on display throughout April
- Art pickup the first week of May
- All entries must have the following securely taped (NOT paper clipped) to OR written on the back:
- Artwork Title (Make sure this matches the online entry):
- Display/Pick-up Location (choose East Library, Penrose Library, or Library 21c):
- Must bring your artwork to a PPLD library location between Fri., Feb. 17 - Tue., Feb. 21. Drop-off locations:
- Must be ages 12 - 19 at time of submission
- Must be an El Paso County resident
- Only one entry per person
- Jurors reserve the right to decline inappropriate entries
- Participants must complete the online entry form
Complete the online entry form here
- When will I know if I have won?
We will notify award winners by mid-March. All participants and their friends and family are invited to the Awards Ceremony on Tue., March 21 at 6 p.m. in the East Library Community Room regardless of winning an award.
- Will my artwork be displayed?
Yes! You can choose from one of three locations to have your artwork displayed during the month of April. Locations are Penrose Library, East Library, or Library 21c.
- When and where can I pick up my artwork?
The first week of May at the library you selected to have it displayed. An email will be sent in April with specific details.
- What are the prizes?
We award prizes for Coordinator’s Choice, First place, and Second place for the high school and middle school age groups. We also award a prize for Best in Show, which is the piece that received the highest score out of both the middle and high school categories. In the past, winners received a drawing mannequin and gift card to Meininger’s Art Supply store.
- What can I do to improve my chances of winning?
- Work with the theme—It doesn’t have to be a literal interpretation, but we do look for pieces that have been inspired by the theme in some way. Your paragraph describing your piece can have a big impact on this.
- Stand out! Whether through subject matter or having an unusual take on the theme, we notice unique entries more. For example, we tend to get a lot of close-ups on eyes, so they tend to not stand out as much.
- Have fun! Don’t view it as an assignment or chore. We can tell when someone submits a piece they are passionate about – so do something that you love!
- Do I have to have a frame?
No, but we highly encourage it. Pieces are not judged on having a frame or not, but frames or mattes help protect your artwork during storage and transportation and make it easier to hang your piece.
- I'm a teacher with an amazing class, can I enter them?
Yes! If you are a teacher that would like to enter a class of students, you can fill out the Excel Spreadsheet linked below to complete one entry form for all of your students. You will be responsible for communicating with participants about the award ceremony and art pick-up.
- My question wasn’t answered here.
Email Becca at email@example.com