Looking for games to play while apart from friends or family? Check out these free digital games, multi-player video games, and role-playing game resources!
Digital board games
- Board Game Arena - Website with 175 board games that can be played in real time or as slowly as one move every other day if you can’t be online with other players at the same time. Some games must be started by a player with a paid account.
- Dominion Online - Play the original deckbuilding game in your browser, on your own or with up to 5 other players.
- Online Pictionary-style game - Play with up to 11 other friends! Choose how many rounds to play (each player draws once in each round), how long players have to draw, and even make your own list of words people will be drawing.
- Scattergories Online - Scattergories in your browser - allows you to choose categories, number and length of rounds, and send the link to friends
- Tabletopia - Website with over 800 board games in sandbox setups (the game will not tell you if you do something incorrectly). Some games may only be played with a paid account.
Print and play games
- Distance gaming guide from Board Game Geek - This guide includes information on games you can play remotely if one person owns a copy of the board game and print and plays, including some from game publishers, including Cards Against Humanity: Family Edition and demo versions of a number of games from Asmodee.
- PNPArcade - This catalog of print and play games includes nearly 100 for free.
Role-playing game resources
- D&D Beyond - Create a Dungeons and Dragons character in your browser and connect them to a campaign with your party. This can replace a paper character sheet - track spell slots and hit points, level, take a short or long rest, etc.
- DriveThruRPG - This RPG store offers thousands of items, including core rulebooks and adventures in a variety of rule systems, for free or pay what you want.
- Dungeons and Dragons material from Wizards of the Coast - New content is added daily, Monday through Friday, for Adventurer’s League players, new players, and families alike.
- Roll20 - Online virtual tabletop for role-playing games, including maps, assets, and chat. A number of adventure modules are available for free.
Multiplayer video games
- Mobile only
- Mario Kart Tour - Race against your friends.
- QuizUp - Test your knowledge against a friend in more than a thousand categories.
- Song Pop 2 - Be the first to identify the song or artist from a short clip.
- Words with Friends 2 - Test your vocab against a friend in this Scrabble-like app.
- PC only
- Card Hunter - Lead a party on a fantasy adventure, using cards based on the items you equip. Multiplayer is available after the introductory adventure. Available in browser or through Steam.
- League of Legends - Choose your champion and work with your four teammates to destroy the opposing team's Nexus.
- Runescape - Explore and go questing in the fantasy world of Gielinor - this is the world's largest free MMORPG.
- Multiple platforms
- Brawhalla - This Super Smash Bros.-like game is available on Nintendo Switch, PC through Steam, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, with crossplay between platforms. There are a number of modes available, and games run up to 8 players.
- Dauntless - Become a Slayer, hunting more and more powerful Behemoths, either solo or with up to four players. Available on Nintendo Switch, PC through Epic Games Store, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, with crossplay between platforms.
- Fortnite - The uber popular battle royale is available on mobile, Nintendo Switch, PC through Epic Games Store, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
- Realm Royale - This fantasy battle royale has you pick a class, lets you craft items at forges around the map, and when you die... you become a chicken. If you can survive as a chicken for 30 seconds, you're back in! Available on Nintendo Switch, PC through Discord or Steam, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.