Create a catapult using things from around the house. This project is only limited by your imagination and the things you find around the house!
- Cylindrical object (sturdy cardboard tube, soup or other can, sturdy plastic bottle, rolling pin)
- Stretchy hair elastic or rubber band
- Spoon (wooden, metal, or combination)
- Something to propel (ball, marshmallow, pompom, wad of paper, etc.)
- Wrap the hair elastic or rubber band around your cylindrical object twice.
- Slide your spoon under the elastic where it meets in an X. It should be perpendicular to the cylindrical object.
- Load a projectile in the bowl of the spoon. Apply force to the opposite end of the spoon and watch it fly.
- Experiment with a variety of objects. What combination propels your object the farthest?