Take and Makes for this project will be available at area PPLD libraries beginning Friday, June 18, 2021.
Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/dQVo4jP7a_c?list=PLMEg2Dd0dSFctLfDQxsL5SmuE8zkwQFmu
Supplies and Directions:
Materials provided in Take and Make kit: container for boat, plastic straw, rubber band, balloon
Materials you provide: sharp pencil to poke hole, container of water.
- Poke a hole in one of the short sides of the boat using a sharp pencil. It should be nearer to the top.
- Slide the balloon onto one end of the straw. (Pro tip: Blow the balloon up a couple times to ease expansion when on the straw.)
- Rubber band the balloon into place. Blow the balloon up through the straw to test if it’s secured.
- Stick the straw through the hole in the boat with the balloon on the inside. Having the balloon inside the boat allows it to move forward through the water.
- Test your boat by blowing the balloon up through the straw. Pinch the straw to keep the balloon inflated until it can be released in water such as the bathtub or pool.
- Watch your boat zoom off. How does air power move your boat across the water?
- Bend the straw in the back of the boat to make it turn.