Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/r6SIFnnWVrU
Supplies and Directions:
- potato masher
- 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 plain biscuit
- 2 empty bowls
- 30 ml or 2 T. orange juice
- 30 ml or 2 T. water
- red and green food coloring (optional)
- Ziploc bag
- one leg from a pair of old tights
- tray or plate
- Place a biscuit and banana into an empty bowl and gently crush with a potato masher. (This represents food being chewed).
- Pour the crushed biscuit and banana into an empty Ziploc bag. Add 2 tablespoons of water. (The water represents saliva).
- Pour 2 tablespoons of orange juice (stomach acid) into the bag and tightly seal it, making sure there is no air left inside.
- Squeeze the bag for about a minute, further crushing up the biscuit and banana. (This represents the stomach breaking down the food).
- After about a minute of squeezing, the contents of the bag should feel like a thick liquid. CAREFULLY, cut a small a small hole in the corner of the bag and squeeze the contents into the open leg of the tights. (The tights represent the small intestines).
- Add one or two drops of red and green food coloring into the tights. (The red food coloring represents dead red blood cells and the green represents bile that is released by the liver.).
- Carefully holding the tights over a tray or bowl, gently squeeze out the liquid. (The liquid is the nutrients that your body absorbs and uses!)
- What is left behind… is Poop!
Photo by Sam Moqadam on Unsplash