Link to tutorial on YouTube: https://youtu.be/vJyL_xqPI0E
- Book template printed on cardstock
- Book cover printed on paper
- Glue Stick
- Blank paper
- Needle & thread
- Jump ring
- Optional: Key chain ring or necklace chord
- Cut out a cardstock book template and the book cover of your choice (see pdf files below).
- Use the glue stick to glue the cover to the book template.
- Crease the flaps around the edges.
- Cut out 4-6 rectangles that you will fold in half to make the book’s pages. You can eyeball this, but they will be approximately 4.75 cm x 3.5 cm.
- Line up the pages and fold in half. This stack of folded pages is called a “signature”. Trim if necessary so that the pages fit in the book.
- Thread a needle with about 6 inches of thread.
- Sew the pages together with a pamphlet stitch. You will be poking 3 holes in the crease of the folded pages: one in the top, one in the middle, and one in the bottom. You can mark these holes with pencil beforehand if you would like to.
- Start by poking the needle in through the middle of the crease (see picture). The needle should go through the back of the pages and come out inside the inner fold. Leave a couple of inches of thread hanging out the back. Hold these 3 inches while you sew and do not let them pull through. You will be tying a knot with them at the end.
- Push the needle up through the top of the pages (inside to outside).
- Go back down near the bottom of the pages (outside to inside).
- Pull the needle one last time through the center hole.
- Use the thread you left hanging out the back and the thread still on the needle to tie a square knot—right over left, then left over right.
- Flip the cover template over, line up the pages of the signature you’ve just sewn, and use a glue stick to glue the leftmost and rightmost pages of the signature to the inside of the template.
- Run your glue stick over all the tabs of the cover template and then press them onto the two glued pages until the folio is fully secured to the cover template on both sides.
- Fold both sides of the spine with your fingers to finish your book!
- Now use the needle to poke a hole through the top of the spine all the way through to the inside. Widen the hole by wiggling the needle.
- Open a jump ring with your fingers by holding it in front of you and pulling one side forward while you push the other back. Do not open by pulling the sides outward or it will not fully close.
- Poke the jump ring through the hole you’ve created. You may have to go back and widen the hole further. At this point, you can attach a key ring to it or string it on a chord to make a necklace. Close the jump ring when you’re done!
- Voila! You have a miniature book charm. If you want it to lay flat, you can place it under a light object/between two objects overnight to make it stay fully closed. You could optionally paint it with mod podge to keep it safe from wear and tear!
Show off what you've made by entering our PPLD Challenge: Banned Books Art.