- Any citrus fruit like a lemon, lime, or orange
- knife with a parent or caregiver nearby
- large tray or cookie sheet
- baking soda
- lemon juice
- dish soap
- spoon or coffee stirrer
- food coloring (optional)
- Cut the tip off the fruit and then cut in half. Place on tray, sitting upright.
- Poke fruit with spoon or coffee stirrer to get juices flowing.
- Pour a little dish soap onto the fruit.
- Sprinkle baking soda onto the fruit.
- Squeeze drops of food coloring onto the fruit.
- Speed up the base/acid chemical reaction by adding drops of vinegar also!
You can watch this project at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCL7lOrY5-s