- 2 clear containers, either plastic or glass, one large and one small. The small container should fit in the large container.
- One small weight or rock to place in the smaller container if it is too light
- Food coloring
- Long spoon or stick
- Fill large container with cold water halfway.
- Fill the small container with hot water. (Need adult to help with hot water.)
- Add any color food coloring to hot water and stir.
- Place the small container, upright, into the large container of cold water.
- Observe what happens to the hot water. Hot water will float to the top because it's lighter than the denser cold water.
- Just like a volcano, hot lava rises up because it's lighter.
Watch this project at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujpr_NvUEkw