- 3 chenille stems for each figure
- 1 wooden bead big enough to be the head – 5/8 to 3/4 inch
- 1 or 2 regular-sized colored plastic drinking straws for each figure
- 5 pony beads for each figure
- Small wire cutters
- Permanent markers for the face
- Optional: Yarn, extra chenille stems, felt scraps, or other decorative items
- Take one of the chenille stems and twist it around the other two about 2/3 of the way up; twist about three times, or enough so that they will not unwind. (See #1 picture below)
- Slide 3 pony beads over both of the “legs” up to the twist you made.
- With the permanent marker, draw a face on the bead; then slide the bead down over the middle two stems.(See #2 picture)
- Cut off some of the excess stem above the bead, but leave enough to coil it into a bun. Use a little glue to glue the bun flat to the “head.” (Alternate method: Cut several strands of yarn for hair and twist the excess stem over it to hold it in place.)
- With the scissors, snip eight sections of colored straw about 1 ¼ inches long.
- Slide two of the sections over the “arms.” Twist the part of the stem that is sticking out to form mitten-type hands with thumbs. Tuck the excess stem back into the straw. (See #3 and #4 pictures)
- Slide a section of the straw over each “leg;” add a pony bead, and then the other section of straw. Form the part of the stem that is sticking out into a big foot so your figure can stand up. Tuck the excess stem back into the straw.
- If you want, you can decorate your figure with extra chenille stems, felt, yarn, or whatever you happen to have. You can make warriors, princesses, superheroes, knights – anything you want! (See #5 picture)
Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/UnGxbypCuBw?list=PLMEg2Dd0dSFctLfDQxsL5SmuE8zkwQFmu