- Tall, clear glass cylinder vase or container (preferably straight)
- Food coloring
- Measuring cup
- Order of liquids needed for this density "burrito" (but you could do less liquid choices, but make sure to start with a heavy liquid and end with the lightest liquid):
- Corn Syrup (add a couple drops of food coloring)
- Maple Syrup
- Whole Milk
- Dish Soap
- Water (add a couple drops of food coloring)
- Vegetable Oil (add a couple drops of food coloring)
- Rubbing Alcohol (add a couple drops of food coloring)
- Lamp Oil (DO NOT add food coloring to this liquid - it's doesn't mix in.)
- Turkey Baster
- Items to sink or float: ping-pong ball, plastic beads, metal bolt, grape or cherry tomato, etc.
- Determine how many ounces your container holds with room to spare at the top. Round up or down to a number that can easily be divided your number of liquid layers. Measure the exact amount of liquid ingredients into separate containers. (My large container held about 32 oz. leaving room at the top, so I divided 32 by 9, and then rounded the number down to a 1/3 c. of each liquid to make it easy to measure. Have a grown-up help you, especially with the lamp oil.)
- Place the large container on the tray.
- Add the liquids IN ORDER (they go from most dense to least dense).
- Starting with the honey, pour it very slowly so that it doesn't touch the sides of the container.
- Next, very slowly, dribble the corn syrup on top of the honey. Don't let it touch the sides of the container either.
- Again like the first two, slowly dribble the maple syrup into the container on top of the corn syrup.
- Using the turkey baster, add the milk very slowly. Now it helps to pour the liquids slowly down the sides of the container as you add them. You will add the next five liquids in the same manner.
- When all the liquids are in place. Add items and watch them sink or float or get stuck, depending on their weight and the density of the liquid where it stops.
Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/QjEYa6xBVRQ?list=PLMEg2Dd0dSFctLfDQxsL5SmuE8zkwQFmu