- Clean, clear jar with lid
- Thin glow stick
- Table covering or tray
- Glitter (optional)
- With a grown-up's help, cut the tip off the glow stick.
- Place the open end of the glow stick in the jar and shake it back and forth so that it splatters. Turn the jar as you splatter.
- Add a small pinch of glitter, sprinkling onto the sides of the jar where the splatters are.
- Cover with lid and take into a very dark room.
Fireflies are not flies but beetles and do exist in Colorado! They hang out by permanent water sources like ponds, lakes, and streams.
Watch this project at: https://youtu.be/LRNWJVQRFYw