- Tin foil
- Cut a piece of tin foil 5 x 6 inches.
- Fold up the sides of the boat so it will not sink and hold a cargo of pennies. Get creative and see if you can develop fancy boats.
- Place the boat in the bowl of water. Begin adding pennies for the boat's cargo.
- See how many pennies your boat can carry before it sinks.
- Have some friends over and try this experiment with them. See which one of you can create the boat that will carry the greatest amount of cargo.
- Be sure to dry the pennies before you begin adding them as cargo because remember water has weight!
- Have the person who created the boat begin adding pennies to their boat while another person counts the number of pennies as they are added to the boat.
- Try different ways to distribute the weight of the pennies on your barge so you can carry the maximum number.